Monday, March 30, 2009

EHR implementation and the Federal Stimulus package

http://www.softwareadvice.com/articles/medical/get-ready-for-ehr-failures-but-dont-blame-the-software-2031209/

It is worth having a look at the above post - a good article on electronic medical record implementation, in the light of the stimulus package. We know that most implementations take twice as long to undertake and cost twice as much as planned - and that a key issue is re-engineering the business process before choosing an application. This article makes the very valid points that the EHR subsidy will stimulate demand for EHR's, but may not lead to very effective implementation because of the need to make practice changes and pay for training. Unfortunately I think they are right, but I would be interested in anybody's views.

1 comment:

  1. Nice article. I think it hits the major points. I agree with the comment below as well that the issue of being prepared to practice differently should be at the top of the list.

    I am very happy that I moved to electronic medical records in my office in 2004. During that time the economy wasn't so bad so I could afford to slow my patient load down in order to properly implement the electronic system.

    My concern is that physicians are not good at change especially when it comes to practice habits. Even more important is the current economy does not afford the luxury of cut-backs on patient loads in order to implement an EHR. Primary care practices are fighting to stay open and now they have to pay for a new EMR and possibly decrease their patient load at least temporarily.

    I hope patients understand the process as those late adopters transition over.

    Jonathan S. Ware, MD

    ReplyDelete